Monday, March 8, 2010

Inspiration

I've had a lot of inspiration in my life in regards to art, but it all started with my mom. She is always working on something whether it's a blanket, a doll, a costume, or helping me keep my grand ideas within the reality of a pattern... of sorts. My mom and I work on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to sewing. She loves patterns, understands them well, and uses them. I, on the other hand, hate patterns, understand them (though I feel restricted), and hardly use them. She is a organized mess, and I am a neat freak. She can't remember where she put her seam-ripper, and I don't know who moved my seam-ripper. It's a wonderful mix of black and white, which is probably why grey is one of my favourite colours.

Sewing has always been in my life. My mom used to make these cute little fabric dolls that every little girl in our family 'HAD TO HAVE!' She would make them look like the girl she was giving them to, very adorable. She made a couple of my high school dresses for dances, Halloween costumes, Renaissance Festival costumes, crocheted blankets for everyone, and many other crafts and projects that have sparked my attention. I started sewing when I was in high school, which was probably more out of necessity than a hobby at the time. (I loved certain clothes and couldn't part with them when they ripped, so I learned to fix them.) I can still recall my dad telling me, "Be careful not to get your fingers too close to the needle." Even today, when I'm busy ripping various cases, bags, clothes through my sewing machine, I hear my dad's voice telling me to be careful.

My mom is and always will be the reason I got into sewing and designing. For allowing me to think outside of patterns, and one who supported me in my decision to try and make a business out of sewing.

The next source of inspiration is my boyfriend's mom, Maggie. She is a quilting genius!! I knew there were ladies out there who were amazing quilters, but I hadn't met one. My mom, an amazing seamstress, is not a quilter. Quilter's are highly organized, and my mom is not so much. (Love you mom) Maggie taught me so much about sewing, even the language of sewing. A scant stitch was the latest lingo I learned. All jokes aside, Maggie truly made me a better designer and sewer. She taught me that patterns weren't evil, that sewing machines get angry for reasons, and to simplify my designs. She gave me short cuts, she gave me ideas, and she made sure that I finished my mother's quilt in time for Christmas.

So, thank you Maggie for guiding me down the right path and teaching me that sewing is not only fun, but addicting! I no longer like to create, I need to!

There have been numerous people in my life that have in one way or another inspired me to pursue a career towards one of my artistic talents. Other than sewing, I like to paint, draw, design, and the biggest of all is photography. All of which are hobbies that were meant to keep me busy. I can't sit still for five minutes, let alone have just ONE hobby.

Jacqueline Garcia always supports me, no matter what crazy idea I come up with. My sister is my biggest fan, and will soon start modeling my designs for me. Josephine Stoltzfus, is an amazing industrial designer and artist, who made me realize having that one item that no one else has not only makes you a fashionista, it makes you different... and I loved that!

But of all the people in my life, I've always looked up to and admired one more than the rest. Nicole Pfeiffer has more artistic talent in her pinkie finger than most have in their entire bodies. Her photography is utterly amazing, though I'm not sure that words can sum up how I feel about her photography. I've been lucky enough to model for her for a website of my own, and I hope to do it again for whatever reason she can come up with. (If not, I'll have to make up reasons!) I was drawn to Nicole in high school, as she is not only an amazing artist, she is a great friend. She can draw, she can mold, she can paint, she can create. You give her a material to work with and she'll make something beautiful out of it. She is truly an inspiration and I'm very blessed to have her as a friend.

Lastly, the sole reason that I started sewing again after I got out of college was my nephews. Drew and Luke are the most amazing little guys any Aunt could ask for. Drew was born on July 17th, 2006 and Luke was born on January 3rd, 2008. Drew is a very artsy little guy. He takes his drawing and painting time very seriously. Actually, he takes everything pretty serious. He is a hardcore hockey fan and player. Drew is very intelligent, and is hard to get one by him. He can even spell his name and write it too!! Lukie, on the other hand, is very mischievous, shy (at first,) and creative. He is an excellent problem solver, and he is the cutest 2yr old on the planet.

When they were born, I had this itch to make them something. I hate giving toys as gifts. I find them useless. As a nanny, I know that kids attention to a toy usually lasts about five minutes before they move on to something else. Books are huge with kids, puzzles, colouring books, etc. But what do you get for newborns? How about custom designed onesies and t-shirts? That's what I did for Drew and Luke. As they got older, I learned what peaked their interests, what hobbies they were forming, and bought gifts accordingly. But I still make them different shirts, pillow cases, scarfs, and odd and end things.

Who needs more than these two cute little guys for inspiration?


Not me, thank you Drewy and Lukie!

Love,
Katie.

No comments:

Post a Comment